Thursday, October 4, 2007

I forgot to tell you about the jellied eels. (Thanks for reminding me, Belle.) Gord was not particularly interested in trying them but I served them with lunch on Tuesday--it was a composed salad of sorts, one part of the plate had a salad of greens and fresh mango, another had sliced tomatoes, another feta cheese, and the fourth was a small mound of the eels. Cathy and I didn't think they were that bad, certainly not as bad as I was expecting. The jellied part was like an aspic. The eels did not have a strong taste, but they did have a lot of bones and we didn't have the technique down on how to eat them gracefully. Gord tasted them but did not like them at all. I claim it was because he had already made up his mind that he wouldn't! He might claim that I didn't mind them just to prove him wrong! I was surprised because there are very few things he won't eat, and he is usually willing to try anything. I think it was the jellied part--he's not big on aspic. Sorry, no photo.

Today I was planning to wander off to do a couple of things, but I think I had my first migraine. If it wasn't, I'd hate to know what one is like, because this was horrible. It made me sick to my stomach. Anyway, I managed to sleep a little and by 6:30 I was up and feeling ready enough for play night. (Okay, all you migraine sufferers are probably thinking, "If she was up after just half a day, that was no migraine." Well I hope you're right, because then maybe it won't happen again.)

But I'm so glad I rallied around, because the play was wonderful. It was A Disappearing Number, conceived and directed by Simon McBurney of Complicite, which is a world-renowned theatre company dedicated to developing new and innovative work. I would never have guessed you could do a play about mathematics, specifically the concept of infinity, and make it so interesting, and even humorous in parts. (Lynne, you would have loved it.) It was partly the true story of an Indian prodigy (Srinivasa Ramanujan) who ended up working in Cambridge with an English mathematician (G. H. Hardy) in the first part of the 20th century. It was brilliant how they went back and forth, weaving a couple of different stories, in different time periods and different countries. An added bonus was the use of Indian music and dance (bharata natyam). The set design by Michael Levine was incredible--I really just don't get how they figure it all out. Oh well, I probably never will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Gord. There is no way that I would eat eels--jellied or otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Jane,
I'm finally catching up on your posts. Sounds like too much fun. I'm glad you got to see theatre de complicte in action. I saw their adaptation of The Street of Crocodiles in London in 1998...
I'll keep living vicariously through your posts. Take care.
Bill B.