Monday, September 17, 2007

Gord opened a bank account here when he arrived a month ago. He was told it would take six weeks for the check to clear! I find this fascinating! To paraphrase my mother, "Someone has the use of the money and it's not us." Today we went in to the bank to add my name to the account and to see if the money had been deposited. No, it wasn't. The woman helping us said that they have to send the check back to our bank for authorization, then our bank has to send it to them, or some such nonsense. But even if they sent it on the Queen Mary, it shouldn't take this long. But this wasn't the worst of it. To add my name I had to provide lots of personal information. I felt like I was applying for a loan or something. Aren't we giving THEM a loan? Anyway she asked if I worked and what I was planning to do in London. That's when I learned the horrible truth, that, to them, I am referred to as a "homemaker." Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone who calls themselves that. It's just that I have never thought of myself as one, nor would anyone who has ever seen me function at home think of me that way. I mean, I'm hardly ever there for one thing! Can't I just be "retired" for now? I thought about lying and saying I worked at a museum . . . and the harsh reality hit me in the pit of my stomach. I don't work at a museum any more. What is it going to be like when I get back? Well I just can't think about it right now.
So after that trying experience we went over to the Queen's Gallery at Buckingham Palace. We listened to the commentary ("common tree") on the audio guide and spent a delightful two hours looking at Italian art of the 15th through 17th century. It included a good selection of works on paper in addition to the oil paintings. My new favorite 17th century artist? Her name is Artemisia Gentileschi. We spent so long in the Gallery that we ran out of time to see the Royal Mews, but we did visit the public rooms of the palace itself. There were some nice paintings in there as well, by such artists as Frans Hals, Jan Steen, Vermeer, and Van Dyck.

It was supposed to rain today but it didn't (not until late tonight anyway); however when we left Buckingham Palace it was quite chilly.

There is something indescribable about the various body odors assaulting you when riding in the subway during rush hour.

Meg, this picture of the Red Bull car is for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane! Your blog is fantastic, I love checking in to read of your adventures!
-Amy, John, and Luke

Anonymous said...

Hello Jane! Jane Burnham sent me a card with your blog's address and I have spent a wonderful hour catching up on your adventures. My adventure in DC has been awsome and Dave and I are so very happy that we made the decision to move here for a few years. I thought you might like to know that for most of August I walked about 5 miles a day in temperatures over 90 degrees and never lost a pound. Maybe it was the extra fluid building up in the blisters on my poor feet. My email address is: eagle577@comcast.net. Be well!
Leslie Eagle

Anonymous said...

Jane,
Your identity doesn't lie in what those Brits call you, but in what you know to be true about yourself. You are a museum professional even if right now you are not employed as one. And even if you never work in that field again, those ten years can't be taken away! But I do appreciate how you felt when the reality hit.
Lynn