Monday, September 24, 2007

Our first house guest has arrived! Cathy C. was able to get a flight at the last minute and will relive her trip of 30+ years ago. There wasn't much time to do anything except have some tea, walk over to Kensington Gardens for a bit, and then hit the Marks and Spencer for provisions.

Gord and I had tickets to see The Merchant of Venice at Shakespeare's Globe so we left Cathy to sleep off the jet lag. It was wonderful to see Shakespeare performed in that setting (and performed so well) although I was wishing I had worn warmer clothes. At least the heavy rain of early this morning had turned into a clear but crisp night. It brought me back to my ninth grade English class and my teacher Mr. McCarroll, who also directed all of the school plays of which I played no part (literally). I only mention that last part because he conducted his classes in the same animated way he directed the plays. I must have been animated in that class too, because it was the only class I've ever been kicked out of (but that's another story).

We walked across the Thames via the Millenium Bridge to catch the Underground home. The bridges over the water were beautifully lit.

No comments: