Wednesday, September 12, 2007

There are many unique flavours of crisps (potato chips) here, I remember from last time, and they haven't changed. These include Roast Chicken and Herb, Honey Roast Wiltshire Ham, Four Cheese and Red Onion, in addition to the regular Salt and Vinegar. I'll try to keep a running list. We haven't tried them but I'll keep you "posted" (so to speak).

Today I did the Islington Spur walk from the Secret London book. It was good to be out walking but it was probably the least exciting of the four or so walks I've done. Just as I was thinking that my feet are the most comfortable when I wear my Dansko clogs, I twisted my ankle slightly because of some uneven pavement. Then a few minutes later I did the same thing three times in about 15 seconds. Besides feeling very foolish, I'm thinking I need some shoes that have ankle support.

I then went over to Camden to do a Regent's Canal boat cruise. Fortunately I was early because I must have walked around for 50 minutes trying to find the place from which to catch it. Camden Market was full of people, but nobody seemed to know where to find the Jenny Wren. I finally found the tourist office (that was a challenge in itself) and the young woman giving me directions didn't know her left from her right. I was just about to give up when I saw it. The ride was very nice, passing through the zoo in Regent's Park, then past these beautiful mansions, and ending up in Little Venice before making the return journey. The water itself is very murky and had litter floating around in it occasionally (beer cans, empty crisps bags) but the guide said that by December it is clear and you can see down to the bottom. I don't think I'll want to take the boat ride in December, even if they offer it, however.

The director of the institute came over for a couple of glasses of wine in our rooftop garden before the three of us went out to dinner. We happened upon a very nice Italian restaurant down the street. Ended the meal with some vin santo . . . slept very well thank you.

No comments: