Thursday, September 27, 2007

So I think I figured out what I want to be when I grow up. I want to work for the Queen and be the Keeper of the Privy Purse. Isn't that a great title? (The dictionary defines privy purse as an allowance from the public revenue for the monarch's private expenses.) Or better yet, I could open a pub and call it The Privy Purse. (What do you think, K, L, and L? Could that be our business? Tea room by day, pub by night?)

Gord took Cathy and me on a sixties-themed walking tour, sort of a dry run for a class he will be "guest teaching" next month. It's a class on Youth Culture (or "youf" culture as some people say--you can pronounce "th" as an "f" or a "v", as in somefing or bruvver). Anyway, his class will be on the music industry in the sixties. We started out at Abbey Road Studios out in St. John's Wood. That's also where the Beatles were photographed walking across the zebra crossing for their Abbey Road album. Gord was going to take a picture of Cathy and me crossing it, just like every other tourist who ventures up there, but unfortunately (or fortunately) I had neglected to bring my camera today. The walking tour continued on to Soho, past recording studios and coffee shops where musicians hung out, past clubs and the London Palladium.

After a late lunch at Belgo (again), we walked to the National Portrait Gallery and spent three wonderful hours, mostly on the top floor, looking at portraits and learning more British history through the audio guides. I'll have to go back to see the rest of it. I was looking for a particular photograph of some man whose name I couldn't remember that my daughter had copied when we were here in 1996, but I couldn't find it. They have redone the foyer of the museum since we were here last and there is now a long escalator that takes you up to the top floor.

There was no time for dinner, nor were we hungry, before we had to get to the Theatre Royal Haymarket to see The Country Wife. This comedy by William Wycherley was first performed in 1675, but by 1753 it was considered too morally offensive to be performed in its original version. It wasn't performed again in its unedited form until 1924. Since then the title character has been performed by Joan Plowright, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, and Helen Mirren. (There is no Playbill here filled with advertising, so you must purchase a program if you want one. What I like about them is that they give you a history of the play and its performances--and this one had wonderful photographs. What I don't like is having to pay, this time 4 pounds, but I do understand why.) Anyway, I thought the play was great, and surprisingly risque for having been written in the 17th century. Tonight was the first night of the previews so there were a couple of glitches and line stumbles, but not many. I loved the set design--I'm always amazed at how they conceptualize it. There were many scene changes and cleverly done. The acting was good, with the title character seeming to pull off a decent Yorkshire accent (but what do I know?). The theatre itself is beautiful.

Pedometer reading for the day: 17,658 steps taken; 6.7 miles walked; 383 calories burned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The Privy Purse" is a great name for our business! We've had some new ideas in your absence... chocolate has become a focal point. I'll fill you in when you come home, but I think you're going to like it!
Lynn