Monday, November 26, 2007

I don't care if it does block the view of St. Paul's Cathedral from the river, I LIKE the Millenium Bridge. I walked across it to the Louise Bourgeois exhibition (finally!) at the Tate Modern. It was a wonderful exhibition and the audio guide, which included Bourgeois speaking about her work, was especially good. There was also a captivating, 54-minute film of her by Nigel Finch done for the BBC series Arena in 1994. I, of course, sat and watched the whole thing. Bourgeois will be 96 on Christmas Eve. I had two suggestions, which I entered in their comments book. First, the wall text and label text were peeling off in parts, leaving some letters partly or completely missing. It was difficult to decipher some of the words. No excuse, especially from the Tate. The other issue I had was that the film was shown in the foyer outside the exhibition, making it difficult to hear the film above the noise of people talking (bad acoustics in that area didn't help). Anyway, the exhibition was great. I still think Maman (the spider outside) is my favourite, but I also liked her early Personage sculptures done in the 1940s. The cells were also interesting as were her more recent fabric sculptures. What an interesting childhood she had! And she had just a few issues with her father!

I then walked over to Shakespeare's Globe for a tour and a look at their exhibition which was under construction when Gord and I were there in September. The tour was informative, mostly giving a sense of life in the sixteenth century across the Thames from the City of London. We didn't get to go back stage, because there's not really much of one. So I had already been inside the Globe when we went to the Merchant of Venice. It was still interesting and I'm glad I did it. The exhibition was interesting too.

Walked back across the Millenium Bridge. I never tire of seeing London at night. It's just beautiful, especially when it's not raining.

I've started compiling a list of the places I've visited, the books I've read, and the plays I've seen during my time here. It's pretty long already, and I'm only a third of the way done.

No comments: